The measure, unless blocked by a judge, will take effect in six months. The health board vote was the only regulatory approval needed to become binding in the city, but the American soft-drink industry has strongly opposed...
In response to:
Only on this website do gay marriage and soda banning get compared.
The New York City Board of Health today approved Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposal to ban sugary drinks that come in sizes larger than 16 oz on a unanimous 9-0 vote. This was mildly surprising considering the national controversy that broke out in the wake of Bloomberg's initial plan, but the New York City bureaucrats have never been receptive to public outcry.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Video: The solution to the campus sexual assault crisis Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- Obama’s ISIS Tap Dance Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago
- Rumor du jour: House GOP working on “punishment” for votes against Boehner as Speaker Jazz Shaw 16 hours ago
- Ukraine, rebels agree on buffer zone, withdrawal of foreign troops and “mercenaries” Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago
- Could Louisiana elect an 87 year old Democrat felon to Congress? Jazz Shaw 19 hours ago