Recently, Jay Michaelson wrote a piece for The Daily Beast titled “The ‘Religious Liberty’ Bullies and Their Fight Against LGBT Equality.” In it, he suggests that those who oppose same-sex marriage for religious reasons are the same as the racists who opposed desegregation laws. He calls those who protect religious liberty, and who therefore are willing to stick up for the rights of religious people who oppose same-sex marriage, insincere and “racist,” as well. “Today is a different age—but the players, and the rhetoric, are the same,” he states. Later on, he says that defenders of religious liberty are “simply repurposing...
Great article! While 'branding people who disagree as liars or bigots as a cheap way to silence dissenters' may indeed by 'cheap' it is certainly meant to 'silence dissenters.' It comes directly from Alinsky's playbook, "Rules for Radicals." Unfortunately, and much to our country's detriment, the MSM is complicit in this destructive discourse, including twice getting an person elected to our highest office that uses these same tactics to successfully push a radical agenda and 'fundamentally transform the United States of America" and this issue is just another part of the 'transformation.' Thanks again. Hopefully this will bring about some civil discourse but don't be surprised if it results in more 'screaming down any dissenters.'
- Tuesday TEMS: Andrew Malcolm, Ron Fournier, Aaron Klein, Fr. Bill Miscamble Ed Morrissey 21 mins ago
- Great news: On taxes, the US beats France, Portugal, and … that’s about it Ed Morrissey 32 mins ago
- Boehner: Obama’s request for authorization to arm the Syrian “moderates” is a sound one Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Did Clinton trash Netanyahu … or Arafat and Abbas? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- NBC News: We’re sure ISIS war will help Obama in the midterms, even if Obama isn’t Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Video: Joint Chiefs chairman concedes U.S. ground troops may see combat in Iraq Noah Rothman 3 hours ago