What do we do when we want a better car, a better home or a better bottle of wine? We pay more for it. We definitely need a lot better crop of public officials. Yet we insist on paying flea market prices for people who will be spending trillions of tax dollars, not to mention making foreign policy that...
It's rare that I ever disagree with Sowell, but I think he misses the mark here. I've never made big league bucks, but even when I made under 30k out of high school, I never considered being dishonest or doing something counter to the interest of my employer. You don't buy honesty, honor and integrity. These parasites we call politicians wouldn't magically become good stewards of the tax payers money no matter how much it paid. Most of them seem to be in love with power. You've basically gotta be rich to even make a serious run for congress.
Now that the National Football League has apparently learned that it can be costly to hire cheap officials, perhaps the rest of us should learn the same lesson when it comes to government officials, whose bad calls can do a lot more damage.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Your feel good video of the weekend, with Reince and DWS Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- Noted internet gambling critic has interesting gaming history Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago
- 2014’s ‘Clinton Democrats’ crashing and burning Noah Rothman 14 hours ago
- The Democrats’ embarrassing attempt to blame Republican for Ebola collapses Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- NFL Week 7 open thread Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago