When people depend upon religion rather than science and reason to understand the universe, there will always be strong differences of opinion. Religious belief relies on faith and faith demands belief without evidence , usually with the threat of eternal damnation to those who are skeptical. It is therefore not surprising that new religions keep developing. Once a person believes in the supernatural rather than the laws of nature and physics, anything is believable. It is not surprising that people such as Joseph Smith, Mohammed and L. Ron Hubbard have had such success at influencing people. They are latter day versions of the early Christian prophets. The Bible is full of contradictions and dubious events and has been used to justify slavery, genocide and subjugation of women. It is pretty obvious that "God's will" is subjective and is whatever a given "authority" says it is. Einstein, who may have been religious, did not believe in a personal God who intervened in people's lives. He chose to search for understanding of the nature of the universe through science rather than the Bible. Thomas Jefferson saw value in Christian morals, but rejected the ideas of virgin birth, miracles, and resurrection. With Americans apparently no more scientifically literate than in Jefferson's time, religion is clearly here to stay. Since the various religious sects cannot all be correct and are more likely the opposite, it would be better to tolerate each other rather than get into a war of dueling mythologies as is the case here.
- Everything has changed after the execution of James Foley by ISIS Noah Rothman 41 mins ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- There will be nothing from the president tonight on the beheading of an American journalist Update: Statement tomorrow Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Spot the problems with these headlines: NYT edition Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Video: The day John McCain did the robot Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Poll: 82% think it should be illegal to let your nine-year-old play at the park unsupervised Allahpundit 13 hours ago