Property taxes were rising everywhere in California before Prop 13, doubling in one year and then doubling again the next year in some places. Howard Jarvis and Paul Gann were the heroes who rescued us from insatiable government by promoting Prop 13 in 1978. It came too late for my neighbors, a 90-year old widow and her 70-year old spinster daughter, who lost their tiny home because of high taxes. But for Prop 13 I might have lost my own home. Jerry Brown, our idiot Governor, opposed Prop 13, but in 1979 he permitted public employees to unionize. That was the beginning of the economic downfall of California.
The United States Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lists some wilderness areas as Pack It In, Pack It Out regions. The BLM websitefor certain parks includes an exhortation for visitors to adhere to Leave No Trace standards; “As a result of improper human waste disposal many of the popular campsites have lingering odors.” The breathtaking Vermilion Cliffs of Paria Canyon in Arizona is one such place. Of course, the...
- Great news: VA overpaying misclassified workers by millions … and can’t fix it Ed Morrissey 52 minutes ago
- Obama aims to keep Democrats happy while he coasts to 2016 Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- WaPo: Is “the bear” loose … or is it an ostrich? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Federal judge to IRS: Explain these “lost” e-mails, please … under oath Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Video: Losing Andrea Mitchell Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago