Property taxes were rising everywhere in California before Prop 13, doubling in one year and then doubling again the next year in some places. Howard Jarvis and Paul Gann were the heroes who rescued us from insatiable government by promoting Prop 13 in 1978. It came too late for my neighbors, a 90-year old widow and her 70-year old spinster daughter, who lost their tiny home because of high taxes. But for Prop 13 I might have lost my own home. Jerry Brown, our idiot Governor, opposed Prop 13, but in 1979 he permitted public employees to unionize. That was the beginning of the economic downfall of California.
The United States Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lists some wilderness areas as Pack It In, Pack It Out regions. The BLM websitefor certain parks includes an exhortation for visitors to adhere to Leave No Trace standards; “As a result of improper human waste disposal many of the popular campsites have lingering odors.” The breathtaking Vermilion Cliffs of Paria Canyon in Arizona is one such place. Of course, the...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Citizen legislator Sen. Mary Landrieu doesn’t really live in Louisiana Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Democrats go after Republican for self-defense measure he took…14 years ago Matt Vespa 3 hours ago
- Rubio: If I had to vote again on my Gang of Eight immigration bill, I’d vote no Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Obama lets another red line lapse in Ukraine, and the consequences will be dire Noah Rothman 4 hours ago
- Heartache for lefties: Elizabeth Warren defends Israel at Massachusetts town hall Allahpundit 5 hours ago