Property taxes were rising everywhere in California before Prop 13, doubling in one year and then doubling again the next year in some places. Howard Jarvis and Paul Gann were the heroes who rescued us from insatiable government by promoting Prop 13 in 1978. It came too late for my neighbors, a 90-year old widow and her 70-year old spinster daughter, who lost their tiny home because of high taxes. But for Prop 13 I might have lost my own home. Jerry Brown, our idiot Governor, opposed Prop 13, but in 1979 he permitted public employees to unionize. That was the beginning of the economic downfall of California.
The United States Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lists some wilderness areas as Pack It In, Pack It Out regions. The BLM websitefor certain parks includes an exhortation for visitors to adhere to Leave No Trace standards; “As a result of improper human waste disposal many of the popular campsites have lingering odors.” The breathtaking Vermilion Cliffs of Paria Canyon in Arizona is one such place. Of course, the...
- Publisher rips New York Times for snubbing David Limbaugh’s book Noah Rothman 50 mins ago
- How to lose a war before it begins Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Putin: I could have troops in Kiev… Warsaw and Bucharest Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- NFL Week 3 open thread Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Daniele Watts won’t apologize, but how about the media? Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 20:1–16 Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago