Here's my question: Why are the horrors of Nazism so well-known and widely condemned but not those of socialism and communism? What goes untaught -- and possibly is covered up -- is that socialist and communist ideas have produced the greatest evil in mankind's history. You say, "Williams, what in the world are you talking about? Socialists, communists and their fellow...
Nik, I agree. I've always thought the political spectrum should not be illustrated with the traditional linear (left/right) model or the Harris graph, but with a circle, like a clock. At the top (12) you have libertarianism, with the most freedom. Left (9) is where you have more social and less economic freedom, kind of where America is today. Right (3) is where you have more economic and less social freedom. And at the bottom (6) is totalitarianism. Here you have the least personal freedom, either socially or economically. This is the same result whether you call it "communism" or "fascism". Those terms only describe the direction you took to get there; the resultant daily life is the same.
In Europe, especially in Germany, hoisting a swastika-emblazoned Nazi flag is a crime. For decades after World War II, people have hunted down and sought punishment for Nazi murderers, who were responsible for the deaths of more than 20 million people.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014