Read Dr. Rice's comments again. She does not advocate open borders or amnesty in those paragraphs. If you read her words in the context of existing law, that is all she is supporting. There is no immigration problem that cannot be fixed by the administration. All it has to do is fully enforce existing laws. So what if they must expand government to enforce them. Gitterdone!
On Wednesday evening former Secretary of State Condi Rice picked a fight with a large and vocal section of the Republican base, and I’m glad she did. This confrontation is long overdue. Zero-tolerance law-and-order rhetoric about the immigration issue has become the standard for talk radio and other conservative circles, and I think that this fact puts much of the conservative movement at odds with two of its most important foundations: a view of compassion derived from the Biblical tradition, and a commitment to economic freedom and limited government as an optimistic upward path to prosperity.
Here’s what she said:...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 14 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 14 hours ago