Read Dr. Rice's comments again. She does not advocate open borders or amnesty in those paragraphs. If you read her words in the context of existing law, that is all she is supporting. There is no immigration problem that cannot be fixed by the administration. All it has to do is fully enforce existing laws. So what if they must expand government to enforce them. Gitterdone!
On Wednesday evening former Secretary of State Condi Rice picked a fight with a large and vocal section of the Republican base, and I’m glad she did. This confrontation is long overdue. Zero-tolerance law-and-order rhetoric about the immigration issue has become the standard for talk radio and other conservative circles, and I think that this fact puts much of the conservative movement at odds with two of its most important foundations: a view of compassion derived from the Biblical tradition, and a commitment to economic freedom and limited government as an optimistic upward path to prosperity.
Here’s what she said:...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Breaking: Pentagon reports first airstrikes in Syria Update: Coalition Arab countries added Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Issa: Americans deserve to hear from Lerner under oath, not in the press Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Poll: Plurality now think businesses that provide wedding services should be required to serve gay weddings too Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Poet: I would have died for my aborted daughter’s right to choose, just like she died for mine Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Resurrected monster General Motors is still killing people Noah Rothman 4 hours ago