What is it about Abraham Lincoln that has captured the hearts and minds of the American public since his assassination nearly 150 years ago? After all, one could argue -- rather persuasively -- that our 16th president was the least qualified candidate ever elected to high national office; in fact, his public service record included just four terms in the Illinois state legislative, one unremarkable term in the House of Representatives, and two unsuccessful bids for the US Senate. In addition, he had virtually no executive experience and, as his contemporaries invariably pointed out, Lincoln seemed wholly unfit to lead the...
Not a fan of Lincoln. Most of what is said about him is revisionist nonsense. The war between the states was fought over money. He was the first tyrant.
- Quotes of the Day Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Would-be victim delivering pizza thwarts would-be robbery with her concealed weapon Erika Johnsen 11 hours ago
- The EPA is charging $75,000/day over a private citizen’s pond, but don’t you worry about their revisions to the Clean Water Act Erika Johnsen 12 hours ago
- Christie jacking up tax on e-cigarettes Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago
- Interview with Al Baldasaro Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago
- How many people have died from GM ignition-switch defect? Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago