Just days before Christmas, the Journal News out of New York published a story headlined, "Where are the gun permits in your neighborhood?" The Journal News thought it was important to publish the names and addresses of every gun permit holder in Westchester and Rockland counties in the name of public safety and the public's right to know. Turns out, they accomplished the opposite by treating lawful gun permit holders like convicted sex offenders. The story received national attention and put gun permit holders and their non-holding neighbors at risk. Ex-convicts said the Journal News story was a...
The astounding aspect of the Journal News "outing" of handgun owners is that a New York resident has to apply for and, at the end of the process, eventually get a judges approval to own a handgun. As a resident of Oregon I have to go through an "insta-check" at the gun shop on the day of purchase. The record of the sale is permanently held by the gun shop, but the state's record of the sale is, by law, erased within 30 days. The citizens of Oregon would not tolerate what the castrated subjects of New York have to go through. I suggest that the Journal News incident be used by the subjects of New York state to not only disallow the "outing" of who owns handguns, but take the next step and get rid of the current process for ownership.
- Quote of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Big Labor: ObamaCare is making income inequality worse, you know Erika Johnsen 5 hours ago
- Reading 2.0: There’s an app for that Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- China draws its own “red line” …on North Korea Erika Johnsen 8 hours ago
- IRS to give up, release all Lerner e-mails, documents Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Ukraine: Another 3 AM wake-up call going unheeded Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago