The distortion was caused by the conspiracy between govt and unions. At the time, this was barely skilled labor. I can personally attest to this by virtue of briefly working for Firestone in Wyandotte, MI in 1972. Never did I have a job that so convinced me to achieve a higher education than that job. As labor and legacy costs continued to increase via union contract, manufacturers sought ways to reduce those escalating costs and used mechanization. This was resisted by unions vigorously. But for the UAW, United Steelworkers, etc., we'd probably be driving technologically superior cars/trucks made almost exclusively by robots at higher quality and less cost.
- Boehner: Obama’s request for authorization to arm the Syrian “moderates” is a sound one Allahpundit 52 mins ago
- Video: Did Clinton trash Netanyahu … or Arafat and Abbas? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- NBC News: We’re sure ISIS war will help Obama in the midterms, even if Obama isn’t Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Video: Joint Chiefs chairman concedes U.S. ground troops may see combat in Iraq Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Study: Nightly network news covered Bush’s crumbling job approval 124 times to this point in year six — versus nine times for Obama Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- An Orwellian War: U.S. routinely calling operations in Iraq what they are not Noah Rothman 4 hours ago