The distortion was caused by the conspiracy between govt and unions. At the time, this was barely skilled labor. I can personally attest to this by virtue of briefly working for Firestone in Wyandotte, MI in 1972. Never did I have a job that so convinced me to achieve a higher education than that job. As labor and legacy costs continued to increase via union contract, manufacturers sought ways to reduce those escalating costs and used mechanization. This was resisted by unions vigorously. But for the UAW, United Steelworkers, etc., we'd probably be driving technologically superior cars/trucks made almost exclusively by robots at higher quality and less cost.
- Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.” Allahpundit 30 mins ago
- Liberal magazine cautions journalists WH playing them with shutdown fears, is ignored Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Awful: Nine-year-old girl accidentally shoots instructor with Uzi Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Poll: Walker’s lead grows with registered voters…but he trails among likely voters? Guy Benson 2 hours ago
- CBO revises estimate, warns U.S. economic growth will underwhelm in 2014 Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- VA customer relations training equates vets angry over care with … Oscar the Grouch Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago