We all know that the sheet anchor of our liberties is the Declaration of Independence. The president himself quoted Thomas Jefferson's most famous line in his inaugural address earlier this week. He recognized that all men and women are created equal and endowed...
In government, and especially in Congress, there is a background program running that must "do something". "Doing something" at the Congressional, state, and local levels means seeking "crises" or "issues" to resolve according to political agendas. If there were not, and this is the ever present danger of governing, the legislators and the bureaucrats employed for the purpose of administrating the laws passed, would have nothing to do most of the time. Congress would, and should, be a part-time affair whose rightful mission would be to enact the fewest laws consistent with the Constitution and to repeal those that are not.
Here is an uncomfortable pop quiz: Who has killed more children, Adam Lanza or Barack Obama? We'll hold off on the answer for a few paragraphs while we look at the state of governmental excess -- including killing -- in America. But you can probably guess the correct answer from the manner in which I have posed the question.
- Are bans on high capacity magazines constitutional? Jazz Shaw 14 minutes ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- EPA exonerates Christie administration in obscure bridge-related offense someone made up Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- California energy companies are getting the heck outta’ dodge and moving to Texas Erika Johnsen 13 hours ago
- CNN poll: 58% oppose abortion in most or all cases Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago
- Video: Rand Paul’s very libertarian speech at CPAC Allahpundit 15 hours ago