We all know that the sheet anchor of our liberties is the Declaration of Independence. The president himself quoted Thomas Jefferson's most famous line in his inaugural address earlier this week. He recognized that all men and women are created equal and endowed...
In government, and especially in Congress, there is a background program running that must "do something". "Doing something" at the Congressional, state, and local levels means seeking "crises" or "issues" to resolve according to political agendas. If there were not, and this is the ever present danger of governing, the legislators and the bureaucrats employed for the purpose of administrating the laws passed, would have nothing to do most of the time. Congress would, and should, be a part-time affair whose rightful mission would be to enact the fewest laws consistent with the Constitution and to repeal those that are not.
Here is an uncomfortable pop quiz: Who has killed more children, Adam Lanza or Barack Obama? We'll hold off on the answer for a few paragraphs while we look at the state of governmental excess -- including killing -- in America. But you can probably guess the correct answer from the manner in which I have posed the question.
- Constitutional law professor on separation of powers: “Stop hatin’ all the time” Allahpundit 18 minutes ago
- Video: A huge executive amnesty for illegals would be a big mistake, says … Ed Schultz? Allahpundit 57 minutes ago
- Grimes: Iron Dome really helps defend against the tunnels, or something Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Is the world giving up on a two-state solution? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Are the culture wars really just about sex? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- “A**holes”: Turns out Lois Lerner’s not a fan of conservative talk radio or its listeners Allahpundit 3 hours ago