Dr. John Lott, author of "More Guns, Less Crime," reports that until the 1960s, some New York City public high schools had shooting clubs where students competed in citywide shooting contests for university scholarships. They carried their rifles to school on...
Dr. Williams, You're making the same mistake that most, if not all, "conservatives" make. You're using facts to refute an emotional argument. The facts don't matter. It's how the position makes you feel that counts. We all want to keep the chilrens safe. Anyone who doesn't want that is a monster. So we can feel better if we just pile on those measures that will make us feel like we've done something to fix it. It doesn't matter that all of the facts, history and logic in the universe inform us that our feel good action never has worked and never will. That is why "conservatives" lose every argument.
When I attended primary and secondary school -- during the 1940s and '50s -- one didn't hear of the kind of shooting mayhem that's become routine today. Why? It surely wasn't because of strict firearm laws. My replica of the 1902 Sears mail-order catalog shows 35 pages of firearm advertisements. People just sent in their money, and a firearm was shipped.
- John Kerry to Code Pink: If you care about women, you should want to fight ISIS Allahpundit 11 mins ago
- Poll: Republican Cory Gardner now leads Mark Udall by one in Colorado Senate race Allahpundit 52 mins ago
- The dream of a Jon Huntsman independent run in 2016 is alive and well, my friends Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Iraqi PM: Please, America, don’t send troops back to Iraq Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Rand Paul: If it was wrong not to protect the Benghazi consulate, it’s wrong not to protect the one in Kurdistan Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Vikings retreat on Peterson after sponsors, media erupt Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago