Dr. John Lott, author of "More Guns, Less Crime," reports that until the 1960s, some New York City public high schools had shooting clubs where students competed in citywide shooting contests for university scholarships. They carried their rifles to school on...
Dr. Williams, You're making the same mistake that most, if not all, "conservatives" make. You're using facts to refute an emotional argument. The facts don't matter. It's how the position makes you feel that counts. We all want to keep the chilrens safe. Anyone who doesn't want that is a monster. So we can feel better if we just pile on those measures that will make us feel like we've done something to fix it. It doesn't matter that all of the facts, history and logic in the universe inform us that our feel good action never has worked and never will. That is why "conservatives" lose every argument.
When I attended primary and secondary school -- during the 1940s and '50s -- one didn't hear of the kind of shooting mayhem that's become routine today. Why? It surely wasn't because of strict firearm laws. My replica of the 1902 Sears mail-order catalog shows 35 pages of firearm advertisements. People just sent in their money, and a firearm was shipped.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Meet the laywers defending “campus rapists” Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- Iran executes 967th person under Hassan Rouhani. And it’s a woman Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago
- Chris McDaniel appeal rejected in state supreme court Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- Video: Palin-bashing CNN anchor claimed Michelle Obama signed bill into law Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- Everything is changing after Ferguson, and it should Jazz Shaw 16 hours ago