I remember Monica Kaufman from my years in Atlanta. She was a tough, no-nonsense reporter who had a reputation for being difficult to work with because she was as demanding of everyone around her as she was of herself. I wish her well.
Next month, the woman who actually beat out Oprah Winfrey for Winfrey's "dream job" will retire from that very job after 37 years. While Winfrey ended up doing just fine for herself, it is arguable that the woman she lost out to -- known in earlier years as Monica Kaufman and in her more recent and oh-so-happily-married years as Monica Pearson -- has had not only a huge impact on the millions who came to know her, but an even greater impact in setting a standard in the television news world that will be difficult to match. Although this may be...
- Secret Service failures may expand no-walking zone around White House Ed Morrissey 13 mins ago
- CDC: Up to half a million Ebola cases by end of January Noah Rothman 53 mins ago
- Video: South Park ad hits Redskins … during Redskins game Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- NYT: Daniel Inouye was the senator who told Kirsten Gillibrand that he likes his girls chubby Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Blair: The West had better not rule out ground troops Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Among us: Officials confirm American ISIS fighters have returned to United States Noah Rothman 3 hours ago