In response to:
While minting the coin wouldn't be inflationary in itself, presumably the coin would be placed on deposit at the Fed, and Treasury would want to draw against that asset. I don't see any alternative for the Fed other than to increase currency in circulation in response to those drafts. The Fed could sell other assets instead, such as its MBS and Treasury holdings, but that would create problems for managing its other liabilities, namely bank reserves. Either way the result would be inflationary.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Former loathsome nanny-state mayor confuses blogger with second awesome move this summer Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Video: Army Medal of Honor recipient breaks gavel at New York Stock Exchange Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Senate analysis: What does “success” look like for the GOP in 2014? Guy Benson 6 hours ago
- Could a Republican president gut ObamaCare without action from Congress or the Supreme Court? Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Rubio: Immigration reform won’t happen for another 10 years unless border security comes first Allahpundit 7 hours ago