In response to:
While minting the coin wouldn't be inflationary in itself, presumably the coin would be placed on deposit at the Fed, and Treasury would want to draw against that asset. I don't see any alternative for the Fed other than to increase currency in circulation in response to those drafts. The Fed could sell other assets instead, such as its MBS and Treasury holdings, but that would create problems for managing its other liabilities, namely bank reserves. Either way the result would be inflationary.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 26 minutes ago
- In Illinois and California, public servants skate in police abuse cases Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Will Utah be ground zero for nationwide gay marriage? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Virginia cops hoping to bust teen for child pornography by, er, taking photos of his erect penis Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- NYT: Chelsea Clinton gets $75K per speech Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Ted Cruz declines to follow Palin’s lead in calling for Obama’s impeachment Allahpundit 3 hours ago