In response to:
While minting the coin wouldn't be inflationary in itself, presumably the coin would be placed on deposit at the Fed, and Treasury would want to draw against that asset. I don't see any alternative for the Fed other than to increase currency in circulation in response to those drafts. The Fed could sell other assets instead, such as its MBS and Treasury holdings, but that would create problems for managing its other liabilities, namely bank reserves. Either way the result would be inflationary.
- House passes bill authorizing Obama to train Syria’s “moderate” rebels, with most Republicans voting yes Allahpundit 52 mins ago
- John Kerry to Code Pink: If you care about women, you should want to fight ISIS Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Poll: Republican Cory Gardner now leads Mark Udall by one in Colorado Senate race Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- The dream of a Jon Huntsman independent run in 2016 is alive and well, my friends Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Iraqi PM: Please, America, don’t send troops back to Iraq Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Rand Paul: If it was wrong not to protect the Benghazi consulate, it’s wrong not to protect the one in Kurdistan Allahpundit 4 hours ago