It’s Time To Kill The ‘Lame Duck’

scott s. Wrote: Dec 14, 2014 9:38 PM
Originally the regular sessions of Congress always convened the first Monday in December. Elections to the House were held throughout the year (northern states seemed to favor even years, southern states odd years), on a state by state basis. Under authority of USCons I.4.1 Congress directed that the 1872 election of Representatives would be held nation-wide that November. Of course at that time Senators were elected by state legislatures. Though the new term of office didn't start until following March. It wasn't a question of "travel restrictions".

What is Chanukah?

scott s. Wrote: Dec 13, 2014 3:21 PM
Well, it's interesting to me that Judas Maccabees is taken as something of a role model for the Netanyahu government, but perhaps we should keep in mind that the weakness of the Jewish state led to an ever increasing dependence on Rome to counter the Hellanizers, and that led to the Herodian Dynasty. And of course in the time of King Herod a savior is born in the City of David.

Climate Catastrophe

scott s. Wrote: Dec 10, 2014 3:07 PM
On what basis do you claim "when someone over-consumes, life seems awesome right up until the crash"? First off, how is "over-consume" determined? Is it any amount of consumption your don't like? This sounds like the whole bogus "sustainability" argument. But even if we accept for argument that there is some sort of resource limitation, I don't see any reason for assuming that there will be a "crash".
The "filibuster" rule in question only deals with the Senate executive calender on Presidential appointments other than to the USSC. In the next Congress, I kind of doubt Democrats are going to filibuster any of Obama's appointees, so don't see the point. Could be said to be setting up for a possible change in 2017 if there is a Republican President/majority in the Senate but I don't really see how changes now would have any impact on what might be done then.
Well, you know when it comes to "boots on the ground" in EU we are pretty much down to 2d Cav, 12th Aviation Brigade, and 173rd Airborne Brigade. There's also a so-called NATO Brigade which is made up of rotational reserves to carry out NATO mission in former Yugoslavia.

Americans Remember Pearl Harbor

scott s. Wrote: Dec 08, 2014 1:55 PM
It was a beautiful day yesterday and I took the opportunity to cycle through Wheeler Army Air Field, thinking about the events of that day.

Americans Remember Pearl Harbor

scott s. Wrote: Dec 08, 2014 1:52 PM
Plus tickets to get on the launches to the Memorial are supposed to be free but the Superintendent was giving most of them to tour companies who then packaged them with paid audio tours, kicking back a portion to the gov't. So folks who walked in trying to see the Memorial were told "sorry no tickets available".
Where I am it is primarily the neighbors who are against short-term rentals, not politicians. But I own a hotel room, and residential property tax is $3.50/1000 while I have to pay $12.90/1000 and I also have to pay 13.75% of my gross as tax, so I don't see why residential short-term rentals should get a break. I'm not some mega-buck greedy crapitalist.

Landrieu is French Toast

scott s. Wrote: Dec 06, 2014 3:59 PM
Louisiana is really two states: above Alexandria and below. But in Nov Landrieu only carried the river parishes-- strongest in Orleans, St John the Baptist, and St James.
Problem is at this price, exploration and development off unconventional/tight oil is not profitable. Current producing wells will continue to produce, but the life of wells for unconventional oil is relatively short (production falls off rapidly after 3 years or so). So the question is what is the motivation to continue to explore and develop unconventional oil at the current price?
#1 is based on an argument that by removing the export ban, US crude oil production would increase by 2 million barrels per day (not sure I believe this). This additional production would result in greater downstream (refining) production and presumably reduce the market price for product (refined gasoline).