Nothing new. Important to understand the careerist nature of all politicians, Rep or Dem, at this stage. They are simply acting to preserve their medical benefits for life, retirement pay at FULL SALARY for life, a current salary far greater than almost any of them could earn as a car salesman or insurance agent (likely the best jobs they could get in the real world), and legal access to insider trading opportunities that the ALL are using through their "blind" trusts to enrich themselves. Face it- there are only 2 or 3 senators, and maybe a handful of congressmen, who could earn anything like this in the real world. The Republican's salary and benefits do NOT depend on whether they have majority status, so why do they care? They don’t.
The very quotable British novelist Samuel Butler observed that, “Self-preservation is the first law of nature.” Reports coming from Washington seem to show that this instinct is increasingly demonstrated in a very short-sighted set of actions by institutional Republicans in light of recent successes where grassroots held their elected representatives’ feet to the fire; a fire fueled by the party platform.
- End of an era: Chelsea Clinton leaves NBC Ed Morrissey 47 mins ago
- Inside the collapse of Obama’s Syria ‘strategy’ Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Politico, WaPo, ABC: This “no strategy” comment will do serious damage Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- How many times does Josh Earnest have to say ‘strategy’ before you forget yesterday? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- ISIS has shocked America back to its senses Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Surprise coming in MA gubernatorial race? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago