Nothing new. Important to understand the careerist nature of all politicians, Rep or Dem, at this stage. They are simply acting to preserve their medical benefits for life, retirement pay at FULL SALARY for life, a current salary far greater than almost any of them could earn as a car salesman or insurance agent (likely the best jobs they could get in the real world), and legal access to insider trading opportunities that the ALL are using through their "blind" trusts to enrich themselves. Face it- there are only 2 or 3 senators, and maybe a handful of congressmen, who could earn anything like this in the real world. The Republican's salary and benefits do NOT depend on whether they have majority status, so why do they care? They don’t.
The very quotable British novelist Samuel Butler observed that, “Self-preservation is the first law of nature.” Reports coming from Washington seem to show that this instinct is increasingly demonstrated in a very short-sighted set of actions by institutional Republicans in light of recent successes where grassroots held their elected representatives’ feet to the fire; a fire fueled by the party platform.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 32 mins ago
- Meet the laywers defending “campus rapists” Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Iran executes 967th person under Hassan Rouhani. And it’s a woman Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Chris McDaniel appeal rejected in state supreme court Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Video: Palin-bashing CNN anchor claimed Michelle Obama signed bill into law Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Everything is changing after Ferguson, and it should Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago