Some economists and legal scholars have suggested that the “platinum coin option” is one way to defuse a crisis if Congress can’t or won’t lift the debt ceiling soon. At least in theory. The U.S. government is, after all, facing a real problem. The Treasury Department will hit its $16.4 trillion borrowing limit by next February at the latest. Unless Congress reaches an agreement to raise that borrowing limit, the government will no longer be able...
In response to:
It worked in 1940-1945 when serious spending tool hold. We came out of that a new country. And imagine if instead of spending on bombs that lasted 2 seconds, we spent it on things that lasted 50 years like R&,D, infrastructure, education, etc.. It also worked in 1981 when Reagan ran up similar deficits, giving us another 20 year boom that just wore off, leaving us with a nice credit card bill.
- Video: Semi-retired president now saluting Marines with coffee in hand Allahpundit 16 mins ago
- Video: MNsure renewal process nonexistent Ed Morrissey 40 mins ago
- Pentagon: ‘Years’ of war ahead in Syria and Iraq Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Carson: “Likelihood is strong” that I’ll run for President in 2016 Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- TEMS Tuesday: Andrew Malcolm, Sen. James Inhofe, Salena Zito Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Sisi: Egypt backs US strikes on ISIS, will participate in coalition, if … Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago