Democrats control California's Legislature, and its governor, Jerry Brown, is a Democrat. California is home to some of America's richest people and...
No more,no less? Why? California's Health and Human Services Department has 13 departments in areas like aging, nutrition support, child welfare services, public health, etc. costing the state over $50 billion a year. The department referenced here is TANF, or "CalWORKS" as it is called in California. Total state and local expenditures for CalWORKS is less than $2 billion, with matching federal funds. For whatever reason, Health and Human services has elected to spend a larger proportion of it's total budget on a program whose purpose is to assist people in returning to the workforce. They could, I suppose, reduce the number of participants, which would probably result in an increase in other welfare programs.
California was once the land of opportunity, but it is going down the tubes. Several of California's prominent cities have declared bankruptcy, such as Vallejo, Stockton, Mammoth Lakes and San Bernardino. Others are on the precipice, and that includes Los Angeles, California's largest city. California's 2012 budget deficit is expected to top $28 billion, and its state debt is $618 billion. That's more than twice the size of New York's state debt, which itself is the second-highest in the nation.
- Did US kill Al-Shabaab leader responsible for Kenya mall massacre? Ed Morrissey 38 mins ago
- CDC Director: Ebola in Africa now an ‘epidemic,’ ‘completely out of control’ Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Video: UK takes steps to keep British jihadists from returning Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago