Democrats control California's Legislature, and its governor, Jerry Brown, is a Democrat. California is home to some of America's richest people and...
No more,no less? Why? California's Health and Human Services Department has 13 departments in areas like aging, nutrition support, child welfare services, public health, etc. costing the state over $50 billion a year. The department referenced here is TANF, or "CalWORKS" as it is called in California. Total state and local expenditures for CalWORKS is less than $2 billion, with matching federal funds. For whatever reason, Health and Human services has elected to spend a larger proportion of it's total budget on a program whose purpose is to assist people in returning to the workforce. They could, I suppose, reduce the number of participants, which would probably result in an increase in other welfare programs.
California was once the land of opportunity, but it is going down the tubes. Several of California's prominent cities have declared bankruptcy, such as Vallejo, Stockton, Mammoth Lakes and San Bernardino. Others are on the precipice, and that includes Los Angeles, California's largest city. California's 2012 budget deficit is expected to top $28 billion, and its state debt is $618 billion. That's more than twice the size of New York's state debt, which itself is the second-highest in the nation.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago