Democrats control California's Legislature, and its governor, Jerry Brown, is a Democrat. California is home to some of America's richest people and...
Shades of Meg Whitman and her misleading campaign rhetoric: "California has one-eighth of the nation's population but one-third of its welfare recipients." Them is some scary numbers. Specious, but scary. According to the US Census Bureau, California has about twelve percent of the nation's population AND about twelve percent of the nation's welfare COST. While technically correct, the "one third of welfare recipients" refers to ONE program within California's welfare system which is responsible for less than 4% of the total welfare budget. California's welfare spending is higher than average, but at least eight other states have higher per capita welfare costs than California.
California was once the land of opportunity, but it is going down the tubes. Several of California's prominent cities have declared bankruptcy, such as Vallejo, Stockton, Mammoth Lakes and San Bernardino. Others are on the precipice, and that includes Los Angeles, California's largest city. California's 2012 budget deficit is expected to top $28 billion, and its state debt is $618 billion. That's more than twice the size of New York's state debt, which itself is the second-highest in the nation.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 24 minutes ago
- GAO to audit Oregon’s failed ObamaCare exchange site Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Video: Chris Matthews attempts a do-over during his live show Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- FL-13 special election: Jolly wins! Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Finally: “Frozen,” the honest trailer Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Union leaders: Man, this Keystone XL decision just “reeks of politics” Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago