Sowell states that "no such theory has been found in even the most voluminous and learned histories of economic theories." That's from a scholar who has published extensively in the history of economic thought. Several years ago, Sowell, in his syndicated column, challenged anyone to name an economist from any economic school of...
This is a very difficult concept to understand because most people think of economics as being a linear or static concept. i.e. if the government takes a smaller percentage in income tax, then it must necessarily get less in income tax. WRONG When the government allows the people to keep more of their money, they will spend it. When more stuff is purchased, businesses make more profit. When businesses make more profit, businesses need to hire more people to work for them. Guess what those new employees do? They pay income taxes. Think of it this way: 1. Assume that you tax 100 people at 25%. 2. What if you had 150 people to tax at 20%? Which income stream would be higher?
Dr. Thomas Sowell's "'Trickle Down Theory' and 'Tax Cuts for the Rich'" has just been published by the Hoover Institution. Having read this short paper, the conclusion you must reach is that the term "trickle down theory" is simply a tool of charlatans and political hustlers.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Hmm: Tsarnaev sister arrested for alleged bomb threat Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Infographic of the day: Canada explains Russia and Not Russia to Putin Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- FBI: Russians hackers attacked Wall Street after sanctions imposed Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- Texas jury finds dad not guilty in mysterious shooting of drunk driver who killed his two sons Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.” Allahpundit 13 hours ago