Food stamp benefits cost a record $71.81 billion in the 2011 fiscal year. Agreed, this is up 43 percent from two years before, according to the USDA.) But -- let's put things in perspective: That's about ONE-TENTH of federal defense spending in 2011. So, you want Americans to starve while feeding the military machine and contributing to tax cuts for the wealthy? Doesn't sound Christian to me.
Under President Obama the participation rate in the food stamp program has skyrocketed—one in seven Americans now receives food stamps. To keep up with the demands of the burgeoning program, spending has thus “doubled from roughly $39 billion in 2008 to an estimated $85 billion in 2012,” and nearly quadrupled since 2000. According to Heritage, “Today, the food stamps program is one of the largest and the fastest growing of the roughly 80 welfare programs funded by the federal government.” With that said, brace yourself for Breitbart’s findings: “The number of individuals on food stamps now exceeds the...
- White House giving up fight over Obamacare’s contraception mandate? Noah Rothman 14 minutes ago
- Kerry arrives in Israel for cease-fire talks Ed Morrissey 53 minutes ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Sally Kohn: How can Israel supporters argue the IDF’s violence is justified, but Hamas’ isn’t? Guy Benson 10 hours ago
- Most transparent administration ever closes Apollo 11 anniversary event to press Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Chuck Schumer: What say we have fully open primaries from now on? Allahpundit 12 hours ago