As Boorstin explained, the pseudo-event was orchestrated and planned to receive maximum public attention, even if the event itself was really unimportant. Pseudo-events merely look important, because the media and the public agree to act as if they are. As Boorstin explained, the pseudo-event is not something that happens by...
Obama will play the *default on our debt* card hard and well and this will be a disaster that will be laid at the House Republican's door. Regardless of the facts. He will create a crisis mentality. If chaos in the market follows he will be more pleased than he could hope for. In the end some resolution will come which will be credited to Obama, and the Republicans wil look petty and stupid. You can lay on that.
Watching the American scene in the 1960s, historian Daniel Boorstin, invented the idea of the “pseudo-event.” The rise of television and modern mass media had produced a transformation of the news business, so that what now mattered was not if an event was important, but only if it was “newsworthy.”
- Ebola: First case coming to America Mary Katharine Ham 18 minutes ago
- Wisconsin Supreme Court upholds Gov. Scott Walker’s signature Act 10 in its entirety Mary Katharine Ham 58 minutes ago
- Is Romney poised for a comeback? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Baffling gun-control ad from Mike Bloomberg’s group draws inevitable response Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Democratic Senator calls for CIA director’s resignation for spying on Congress Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- “Are you a Christian?” Tucker Carlson vs. Kirsten Powers on admitting children from Central America Allahpundit 3 hours ago