Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
You sound like a tyoical, Obama butt-snorkling knob.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- Russian ambassador: We’re making it easier for Latvian ethnic Russians to get citizenship Ed Morrissey 4 minutes ago
- Let the primaries begin: Rand Paul, Ted Cruz battle over foreign policy Allahpundit 44 minutes ago
- True Detective finale: greatest miniseries end ever? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- CPAC: Winners, losers, or just a debate? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Senate Democrats plan all-night global-warming talkathon in support of … er … Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Video: Mystery of Flight 370 deepens Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago