The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported last Tuesday that employers issued 1,316 "mass layoff actions" (affecting 50 workers or more) in September; more than 122,000 workers were affected overall. USA Today financial reporter Matt Krantz wrote that "(m)uch of the recent layoff activity is connected to what's been the slowest period of earnings growth since the third quarter...
In June, a diffident and self-deluded President Obama claimed that "the private sector is doing fine." Last week, the private sector responded: Speak for yourself, buster. Who needs an "October Surprise" when the business headlines are broadcasting the imminent layoff bomb in neon lights?
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Small California winery to close doors after being fined for using volunteers Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- NC SEN: Is the race ‘tight as a tick?’ Matt Vespa 6 hours ago
- Three words. Tetris. The movie. Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Carter: If I had gone to war with Iran, I would have beaten Reagan or something Matt Vespa 8 hours ago
- FCC: We’ll look into whether “Redskins” is indecent for broadcast Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago