In response to:
Internet sales taxes are not new taxes. Each state has procedures for collection from residents. In TN we are supposed to report all out of state purchases and pay the taxes. Needless to say, few of us do. Still, the current system allows out of state merchants to compete unfairly with in state businesses. After more consideration, my solution is to require each online seller to report all purchases to a central collection agency for every state. This adds no new taxes, only facilitates enforcement of existing laws. Then the states can either choose to enforce collection or reject it. This shifts the responsibility for sate taxation back to the respective states, a federalist system that ties taxing decisions to more local...
- Quote of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Big Labor: ObamaCare is making income inequality worse, you know Erika Johnsen 8 hours ago
- Reading 2.0: There’s an app for that Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- China draws its own “red line” …on North Korea Erika Johnsen 11 hours ago
- IRS to give up, release all Lerner e-mails, documents Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- Ukraine: Another 3 AM wake-up call going unheeded Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago