In response to:
I am 63 years old, have an engineering degree and have never have a paycheck. I have pumped gas (owned a filling station) done carpentry/plumbing/electrical/ditch-digging (for my businesses or for my rental) and started and operated several other businesses. I pay the taxes, insure myself and have never had a government handout. It usually takes about 7-10 years before the government (local, state or federal) to regulate or tax independent businesses out of the market in favor of cronies. When I survey my accomplishments I am satisfied with what I have achieved. BUT I wonder what I might have managed to do if the rules did not change so often. And I hurt to think how many creative and innovative people are destroyed by the ever growing behemoth -- government.
- Video: Jay Carney says Obama “literally doing what he promised not to do” Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- A hero comes home. Korean War MoH recipient laid to rest at Arlington Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- NFL Week 12 open thread Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 25:31–46 Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- And another thing about that Benghazi report… Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- FBI nabs two aspiring Ferguson protesters with guns, explosives Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago