Zen, I understand it's difficult for Proglodytes to extract their heads from the buttocks of Big Government, but that was an exceptionally odd post. Firstly, during Jefferson's presidency, the literacy rate was already above 90%, prior to extensive public education. Secondly, it is not necessarily a conservative goal to de-fund public education. Throwing money at the schools avails nothing, as the Big Government you're so fond of has set up a lot of bureaucrats over the schools-and they suck up the funds. Nearly 50% of some state budgets are spent on education, and yet programs are still being cut. A far more rational approach would be to destroy the bureaucracies, and then introduce competition, which would promote excellence. The beter teachers should receive the better paychecks.
- IRS to give up, release all Lerner e-mails, documents Jazz Shaw 4 minutes ago
- Ukraine: Another 3 AM wake-up call going unheeded Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Welfare reform is officially on life support in NYC Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Why won’t the White House explain how off-budget ObamaCare money got spent? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Are bans on high capacity magazines constitutional? Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 17 hours ago