The answer to your column's question is simple: The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Measles, Vaccines and Autism

Roc1929 Wrote: Feb 10, 2015 7:52 AM
As I read some of the rejections of Dr. Sowell's column I'm reminded of the following quote: “One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.” ? Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Rideshare Risk Requires Regulation

Roc1929 Wrote: Jan 23, 2015 7:53 AM
It seems to me that no distinction is made between car pooling, where no money changes hands but each member takes turns driving, and a system where there is one driver and everyone chips in for expenses. I think that the distinction is important.

Islam Gets Special Treatment

Roc1929 Wrote: Jan 13, 2015 7:53 AM
By George Orwell: There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them. But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought. Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. In our time political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history. Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
I don't either. That's why I used the word maybe. But I'm sure the Grand Jury knew.
You're right. It was a take down maneuver that, as a boy, I used and was used on me during countless wrestling matches. Also, morbidly obese people tend to have difficulty breathing if they are laying down because they can't expand their lungs against the weight of their chest. Many have to sleep sitting up. Did you know that? Well maybe the cops didn't know it either or else they would have sat him up. Since he died in the ambulance, maybe the EMS didn't know it either.
Governments Consume Governments don’t produce wealth. If this were not true, why do governments collect taxes? Why don’t they just pay their bills out of the wealth that they have produced? The fact is that all governments, from the very first, consume wealth. Everything that the government does, even if necessary or important, is consumption. Prior to the 18th century, all Governments acquired wealth by invasion, conquest, enslaving the conquered, various forms of subjection (serf, vassal, coolie, etc.) and by taxing. Then some genius philosophers came along and said that men should not be subjects but should be free. That they, not the government, should benefit from their labor. That government power should be limited to that which only the government can do such as protect them from enemies abroad and miscreants at home. That the government should be supported by tariffs and if taxing became necessary, all should be taxed equally. They eschewed democracy and created a Constitutional Republic. Then in 1913 the Republic was turned into a Democracy, a form of government that our Founding Fathers considered suicidal. To continue, go here: http://www.meetup.com/westend912project/messages/boards/thread/8036303

Ignorance

Roc1929 Wrote: Dec 31, 2014 10:20 AM
The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history. --George Orwell Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past. --George Orwell

Random Thoughts

Roc1929 Wrote: Dec 30, 2014 8:54 AM
I favor a Jonathan Gruber award also. I hope someone who knows how to set one up does so.

Yes, Michelle, It's Because You're Black

Roc1929 Wrote: Dec 18, 2014 9:09 AM
I'm white and back in the '50s I was in Macy's in Roosevelt Field Nassau, NY when a woman came up to me and asked me to do something because she thought that I was a Macy's employee. Who do I complain to for the insult? It was a white woman so, I guess, that I can't blame racism.