Late-Talking Children

Roc1929 Wrote: 13 hours ago (8:19 AM)
" Above all, he warns them not to park their common sense at the door when they seek either diagnosis or treatment for their child. Too much is at stake to put blind faith in anyone." This is a great piece of advice that should be applied to everything. It is just as foolish to accept scientific evidence without question as it is to reject empirical evidence out of hand.

Cheap Politicians

Roc1929 Wrote: Sep 11, 2014 3:39 PM
Dr. Sowell I’m a big fan but I have to disagree. Just throwing money at a problem never solves it. Increasing the pay of our elected officials will only attract more scoundrels. People of character do not take on responsibility for the money. They do it because it is the right thing to do. Such people lead successful lives and don’t need the money. We used to have a class of men known as dollar a year men. I’m 84, I haven’t heard that term in 60 years. George Washington took no salary as President. What we need is to elect men of character. Unfortunately The power hungry drive off such men with attack ads and slander. Ben Franklin thought that our public servants should not be compensated: “Sir, there are two passions which have a powerful influence on the affairs of men. These are ambition and avarice; the love of power, and the love of money. Separately each of these has great force in prompting men to action; but when united in view of the same object, they have in many minds the most violent effects. place before the eyes of such men a post of honour that shall at the same time be a place of profit, and they will move heaven and earth to obtain it.” --Ben Franklin, At the Constitutional Convention I believe that he was right. Instead we have created a political class of elected officials who have never contributed to our economy but have been in politics feeding at the public trough all of their lives.

Speed Kills Racial Profiling Study

Roc1929 Wrote: Sep 05, 2014 8:53 AM
Priceless!!

Excitement Deprives Children of Happiness

Roc1929 Wrote: Sep 03, 2014 9:24 PM
When my children were small I never told them of an upcoming day out or trip. When the time came I just told them to get in the car and away we would go. They'd find out when we got there. The reason was that I didn't want them to get excited. The reason for that was that too often excitement leads to misbehavior and that would result having to cancel the trip as punishment. When we were going to the store I would tell them that I might be picking something up for them or I might not. But if they asked for anything they would get nothing. I never had the problem so many parents have with out of control kids when shopping. Helping them develop self discipline by these and other such rules served them well in school and in their careers.
Whether or not someone is offended is a choice. Whether or not someone should be offended is dependent on intent. To choose to be offended where no offense is intended is an aggressive act. There is no liberty where we submit to aggression.

Whatever Happened to the Chevy Volt?

Roc1929 Wrote: Aug 31, 2014 10:40 AM
Didn’t Cost a Tax Payer Dime (And I don't mean the Volt.) After WWII Studebaker brought out some very futuristic looking cars. They didn’t sell and Studebaker changed course. Didn’t cost the taxpayer a dime Liberty Ship tycoon, Henry Kaiser, decided to enter the car market with models called the Kaiser, the Frazer and the Henry J. They had some revolutionary features. They didn’t sell and the Kaiser/ Frazer car company went out of business. Didn’t cost the tax payer a dime. Chrysler tried to develop a gas turbine powered automobile. They could not overcome the safety problems and the project died. It didn’t cost the taxpayer a dime. Mazda thought that Wankel had a good idea when he developed his rotary engine and put it in some of their automobiles. Too many problems, Mazda abandoned the Wankel. Didn’t cost the taxpayer a dime. Ford decided to market a car named after Henry’s son, Edsel, It didn’t sell and was discontinued. Didn’t cost the tax payer a dime. Obama decides that the time has come for an all electric car and makes GM produce the Volt. It doesn’t sell. It has safety problems. It costs the taxpayer billions of dollars. The government invests billions of taxpayer dollars on wind power, solar power and ethanol from corn which has no significant improvement in our energy supply. This is why Crony Capitalism (which is a euphemism for Fascism) Doesn’t work. This is why no top down, collective society has ever produced a successful economy. Why is a market economy important? Without market cost constraints, managers in the old Soviet Union would order more resources, materiel and labor, than were actually needed while not ordering enough of what was needed because no one at the top knew exactly what the requirements were. The result was a waste of resources. To make one ton of copper in the USSR used 1,000 kilowatt hours of electrical energy. In West Germany, only 300 kilowatt hours. To produce one ton of cement, the USSR used twice the energy as Japan. Central planning doesn’t work either for governments or Business. Once the home office of a business gets too big, economies of scale decline.
Rod T: While I don't disagree with the argument that you make I believe that the Progressives set the stage in 1913 under Woodrow Wilson. I quote from a paper titled Governments Consume: "Then in 1913 the Republic was turned into a Democracy, a form of government that our Founding Fathers considered suicidal. • Equal taxation died with the 16th Amendment allowing an income tax. When first proposed, we were told that only the incomes of the wealthiest 1% would be taxed and that the rate would be from 1% to 7%. It has been as high as 90%. • The 17th Amendment attacked State sovereignty by changing senators from appointment by State Legislatures to election by popular vote. This led to more power being concentrated in Washington. • And, finally, the Federal Reserve Act was passed which, with other changes, allowed the printing of fiat money. As we print more money, the dollar loses its credibility. In time, like the Soviet ruble, it will have no exchange rate and no value on international money markets. For the entire piece, go here: http://www.meetup.com/westend912project/messages/boards/thread/8036303
In the introduction to the so called "Jefferson Bible" is a letter to Dr. Benjamin Rush in which he says in part: "Dear Sir: In some of the delightful conversations with you, In the evenings of 1798-99, and which served as an anodyne to the afflictions of the crisis through which our country was then laboring, the Christian religion was sometimes our topic; and I then promised you that one day or other, I would give you my views of it. They are the result of a life of inquiry and reflection, and very different from that Anti-Christian system imputed to me by those who know nothing of my opinions, To the corruptions of Christianity I am Indeed opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian in the only sense in which he wished anyone to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others; ascribing to himself every human excellence, and believing he never claimed any other." And in a letter to Mr. Charles Thompson: "I, too, have made a wee-little book from the same materials (The Gospels) which I call the Philosophy of Jesus. It is a paradigma of his doctrines, made by cutting the texts out of the book and arranging them on the pages of a blank book, in a certain order of time or subject a more beautiful or precious morsel of ethics I have never seen. It is a document in proof that I am a REAL CHRISTIAN, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines or Jesus, very different from the Platonists, who call ME infidel and THEMSELVES Christians and preachers of the Gospel, while they draw all their characteristic dogmas from what its author never said nor saw."

The Media and the Mob

Roc1929 Wrote: Aug 21, 2014 9:05 AM
Sometime, I believe, in the ‘70s a NYCPD Sergeant and his driver responded to a man with a knife call in the Borough of Queens. The short story is that on confronting the man and telling him to drop the knife the man charged at the Sergeant. The Sergeant emptied his revolver at the man hitting him five times and killing him. The Sergeant died of a stab wound inflicted by the man with a knife. A policeman friend of mine chasing a fleeing felon ordered him to stop, fired a warning shot and then shot him in the back knocking him down. (It used to be legal to shoot a felon to prevent his escape.) The man got up and ran into the old Penn Station (in NYC). My friend continued the chase and found the felon lying dead at the bottom of a two story staircase having covered a pretty long distance with a severed aorta. Tell me again how many shots are necessary to stop an assailant. By the way, my friend made detective as a result of this shooting.

The Patriotism of Prosperity

Roc1929 Wrote: Aug 13, 2014 10:46 AM
And don't forget if you lower the corporate tax rate and create a business friendly environment you create more jobs and more jobs mean more tax payers which means more revenue. Other countries have figured this out but it is beyond interests of the liberal politics of envy and resentment.