I will make just two claims: 1) The political-journalistic assault on Judge Bork was indecent, slanderous, and hysterical -- a disgrace to ethics and standards all across the board; and 2) it ought to have warned us...
All intelligent and fair-minded Americans should be profoundly grateful that the late, unlamented Robert Bork was not confirmed . He was opposed to rights for homosexuals, had no probvlem with desperately poor women dying at the hands of back-alley abortionists, and was even opposed to the legality of contraceptives for MARRIED couples . He was an evil ,nasty, and mean-spirited man . Good riddance !
It's always best, I find, not to talk too rapturously about Ye Olde Days: days which, on careful inspection, yield evidence of problems aplenty. I won't assert, therefore, that no public figure ever received in earlier times a public evisceration comparable to that inflicted on the late Robert Bork, presidential nominee in 1987 to a seat on the U. S. Supreme Court.
- Audio: Joe Biden being Joe Biden, Jewish outreach edition Ed Morrissey 31 mins ago
- Benghazi hearings about to force the press to pay attention Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- CBS/NYT poll shows Obama at new low on terrorism, foreign policy Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Sotloff “fixer”: Americans never contacted me after his abduction Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- David Cameron to Scotland: Baby, don’t go. Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago