Sensing the wounds of betrayal beginning to fester among many within the conservative base -- his biggest fans and strongest advocates over the last three years -- Sen. Marco Rubio has personally penned a "Dear Friends" letter to try to assuage their concerns about both his intentions and the contents of the bill he helped craft. Rubio calls the immigration reform effort "a real trial" for him, expressing regret that many of his natural allies are furious with him for his role in the 'Gang of Eight.' The full letter is available HERE. A few excerpts, via NRO:
"Without him applying the brakes on Chuck Schumer’s runaway amnesty train in the Gang of Eight, there would have been nothing left to stop an even more terrible bill from passing." That is NO excuse. Rubio allowed himself to be the face of this bill....which the media gladly reported. He made promises which have not been kept. The border security provisions in this bill are meaningless because the bill gives Janet Napolitano carte blanche to do whatever she wants. Rubio was either snookered or is of like mind with people who are disengenuous and downright dishonest. Neither of these choices speak well for him nor his ability to one day lead the country.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: Losing Andrea Mitchell Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Boehner: Obama lawsuit will focus on Obamacare enforcement Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Ann Coulter: Chris McDaniel’s killing his political future by contesting the Mississippi runoff results Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Watch Jake Tapper embarrass pro-Hamas attorney Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- Joe Scarborough: Glenn Beck is following Jesus’s playbook in providing humanitarian aid to young illegals Allahpundit 6 hours ago