Those critics have less influence all the time. Some 18 states permit medical use of marijuana, and in November, Colorado and Washington voted to allow recreational use. Nationally, support for legalization is steadily rising. A decade ago, one of every three Americans favored the idea. Today, nearly half do -- and among those under 50, a large...
@Cleombrotus2011: so what? The issue is personal responsibility vs. an authoritarian stance by the US government. Not what is good for you. Clearly beer is *not* good for you when taken above a certain amount.. yet folks do that all the time. Liberty = people allowed to live their lives as the like, as long as it doesn't directly hurt others.
As recreational drugs go, marijuana is relatively benign. Unlike alcohol, it doesn't stimulate violence or destroy livers. Unlike tobacco, it doesn't cause lung cancer and heart disease. The worst you can say is that it produces intense, unreasoning panic. Not in users, but in critics.
- Blair: The West had better not rule out ground troops Ed Morrissey 13 mins ago
- Among us: Officials confirm American ISIS fighters have returned to United States Noah Rothman 53 mins ago
- Buzzfeed finds more lifted text in Mary Burke’s campaign; Update: Burke: Hey, no biggie Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Will the press find Panetta and Clinton’s pangs of conscience as compelling as Colin Powell’s? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- “F*** it, I quit”: Alaska reporter resigns on air after revealing she runs the cannabis club she just reported on Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- What does the Hillary-Alinksy letter reveal? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago