How are American newspapers and networks covering the Conclave? Poorly, if at all. Most of the stories are breathless horserace-style speculations about men they don't know. When American journalists venture into the issues facing the Roman Catholic Church they rightly mention the abuse scandals and then most stop, except for a few who go on about celibacy --which is not going to change no matter who emerges as the new pope. When you next spot an article talking about the slaughter of Christians in the world or the suppression of the Church in China, send me a link. The next pope...
@Andy: If you truly lived by Christian ethics, you would start with the assumption that he DID understand, not taunt him that he probably doesn't. I was a Roman Catholic, but left the church due to such issues. The church talks a good game, but they let anyone in regardless of whether they follow the rules or not.. and at the end of the day, some folks just have to be told to look elsewhere if they can't get with the program, since they reflect so badly on the entire group. This is as true of folks who commit venial sins as those who commit mortal ones (such as priests molesting kids). Clergy covering up molesting priests isn't an aberration.. its standard operating procedure. It valuing image over ethics.
- Quote of the day Allahpundit 24 minutes ago
- Big Labor: ObamaCare is making income inequality worse, you know Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Reading 2.0: There’s an app for that Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- China draws its own “red line” …on North Korea Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- IRS to give up, release all Lerner e-mails, documents Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Ukraine: Another 3 AM wake-up call going unheeded Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago