Sure, technically all spending is authorized by the House, but in practice, we all know that members of the President’s party in the House do their level best to engineer budgets according to his whims and desires. Why do you think there hasn’t even been a budget in a couple years? It’s because Republicans (who control the House) won’t accede to the insane levels of spending that Obama rammed through a Democrap-controlled Congress in his first two years. A responsible budget is a non-starter with Democraps (who still control the Senate), so we play the game of continuing resolutions and the occasional threat of a “government shutdown” (Oh, if only!) Love Dr. Williams, but he is seriously short-changing the role of the White House...
Within the past decade, I've written columns titled "Deception 101," "Stubborn Ignorance" and "Exploiting Public Ignorance," all explaining which branch of the federal government has taxing and spending authority. So here it is again: The first clause of Article 1, Section 7 of the U.S. Constitution, generally known as the "origination clause," reads: "All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills." Constitutionally and by precedent, the House of Representatives has the exclusive prerogative to originate bills to appropriate money, as well as to raise...
- Rand Paul working to get David Jolly over the finish line in FL-13 special Jazz Shaw 34 minutes ago
- CPAC: Daniel Hannan and the origins of liberty Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Quote of the day Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- Big Labor: ObamaCare is making income inequality worse, you know Erika Johnsen 16 hours ago
- Reading 2.0: There’s an app for that Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago