As Barack Obama thrilled his supporters on Monday with his clarion call to action for the poor and the oppressed, young people across the country -- though in numbers somewhat smaller than were enthralled by their leader's words four years ago -- nodded in agreement. For this was about them, and Obama’s speech told them once again how great they are. Obama spoke to the "N Generation," those millions who, because they are the beneficiaries of the miracles of internet technology and instant, worldwide communications, believe firmly they know all and are entitled to everything; as the old song by Queen...
I don’t know whether this was meant as a rhetorical question, or if you’re actually expecting an answer. If it’s the latter, then the answer if emphatically NO! Narcissism necessarily (The germ of a tongue twister?) implies the need to control others, so they will render proper homage to the greatness of the narcissist. That is completely at odds with individualism, which is a “live and let live” philosophy. But thanks for asking.
- Video: Israel shoots down Syrian jet over Golan Heights Ed Morrissey 33 mins ago
- Joe Biden 2012: Can you believe Mitt Romney wants to hit Syria? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Rally point: Should Obama start talking about combat forces now? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- International community concerned America violating international law by striking Syria? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Jihadi social media: Khorasan Group leader Muhsin al-Fadhli killed in U.S. airstrikes in Syria Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- NYT: On second thought, Bush did pull together a coalition on Iraq Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago