As Barack Obama thrilled his supporters on Monday with his clarion call to action for the poor and the oppressed, young people across the country -- though in numbers somewhat smaller than were enthralled by their leader's words four years ago -- nodded in agreement. For this was about them, and Obama’s speech told them once again how great they are. Obama spoke to the "N Generation," those millions who, because they are the beneficiaries of the miracles of internet technology and instant, worldwide communications, believe firmly they know all and are entitled to everything; as the old song by Queen...
I don’t know whether this was meant as a rhetorical question, or if you’re actually expecting an answer. If it’s the latter, then the answer if emphatically NO! Narcissism necessarily (The germ of a tongue twister?) implies the need to control others, so they will render proper homage to the greatness of the narcissist. That is completely at odds with individualism, which is a “live and let live” philosophy. But thanks for asking.
- “We need a national conversation…” Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Will 2014 be the year that Jews support the GOP? Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago
- Flashpoint Hong Kong: China rules out democracy for the former British territory Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- Your tax dollars at work: PBS to air pro-abortion “After Tiller” movie tomorrow Dustin Siggins 18 hours ago
- NFL Regular Season open thread Jazz Shaw 19 hours ago