It's been suggested this example is a way to introduce complex expressions. The problem is it does not deal forthrightly with precedence. There are three ways to look at this problem. 1. The nine is immaterial so it is 54/3 2. Precedence says division precedes multiplication so it is (54/9) * 3 3. Precedence says multiplication precedes division so it is 54/(9 * 3) There is ample evidence that both orders are used and acceptable. What is ambiguous is 54/9 * 3 as is the question itself.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- In two New York districts, two trouncings to warm your heart Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- TSA confiscates a toy ray-gun belt buckle. Because security. Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Oh my: Plurality of Republicans think Mitt Romney should run for president Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Video: 10 hours of catcalls in New York Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Dems: It’s going to be a bad cycle, and there’s one reason why Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago