Gov. Mitt Romney opened the engagement. "Our Navy is smaller now than at any time since 1917. The Navy said they needed 313 ships to carry out their mission. We're now under 285. We're headed down to the low 200s if...
In response to:
A point left out is that any given time ships are off the line for repair, replenishment and re fit. A certain number are non combat.
Monday night's final 2012 presidential election debate included a brief but fierce naval battle. The candidates exchanged close-combat broadsides over the size of the U.S. Navy, then fired provocative salvos in the direction of two complex subjects, the capabilities of modern weapons and the deleterious effects of funding cuts required by sequestration on the defense budget, especially planned ship-building programs.
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 42 minutes ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Pelosi’s office retreats on Hobby Lobby “ban” claim Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Solar panel company pocketing govt subsidy cash intended for homeowners Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Look how the Export-Import Bank is using your tax money Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago