Gov. Mitt Romney opened the engagement. "Our Navy is smaller now than at any time since 1917. The Navy said they needed 313 ships to carry out their mission. We're now under 285. We're headed down to the low 200s if...
In response to:
A point left out is that any given time ships are off the line for repair, replenishment and re fit. A certain number are non combat.
Monday night's final 2012 presidential election debate included a brief but fierce naval battle. The candidates exchanged close-combat broadsides over the size of the U.S. Navy, then fired provocative salvos in the direction of two complex subjects, the capabilities of modern weapons and the deleterious effects of funding cuts required by sequestration on the defense budget, especially planned ship-building programs.
- Pence: Cheer up — we’re winning! Ed Morrissey 40 mins ago
- Putin: You’re next, Kazakhstan Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Scarborough: Obama saying he has no strategy against ISIS is a tactic straight out of “The Art of War” Allahpundit 2 hour ago
- Ed Henry goes there: Why is Obama fundraising after admitting he has no ISIS strategy? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Change: Obama set to delay executive amnesty until after the midterms? Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- End of an era: Chelsea Clinton leaves NBC Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago