Gov. Mitt Romney opened the engagement. "Our Navy is smaller now than at any time since 1917. The Navy said they needed 313 ships to carry out their mission. We're now under 285. We're headed down to the low 200s if...
In response to:
A point left out is that any given time ships are off the line for repair, replenishment and re fit. A certain number are non combat.
Monday night's final 2012 presidential election debate included a brief but fierce naval battle. The candidates exchanged close-combat broadsides over the size of the U.S. Navy, then fired provocative salvos in the direction of two complex subjects, the capabilities of modern weapons and the deleterious effects of funding cuts required by sequestration on the defense budget, especially planned ship-building programs.
- Video: Who’s up for another lecture from Shep Smith about how to properly react to a crisis? Allahpundit 21 mins ago
- Video: Canada shooter was in contact with “individuals in Syria” Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- A whopping 9% of likely voters “enthusiastic” about Barack Obama Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Uh oh: GOP’s vulnerable candidate start showing off their internal polls Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- In America, we don’t kill the Ebola dog Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Matt Lewis shames the press for laughing at Bristol Palin’s physical assault Noah Rothman 3 hours ago