Could it be because the social significance of the word carries meaning far beyond its dictionary definition? Could it be the LGBT activists are trying to make an end run around social convention? Obviously, you folks feel the word is controlling, it is important to you, not only because it is in law but for its connotative significance also. How about a one line rider to a completely innocuous and unrelated bill that says something like, Civil unions are equivalent to marriage in the eyes of the law. Poof, problem solved and you don't have to fight the entire religious community over it. If the religious right ever goes on the attack, you guys are boned. So far all they've said is no.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014