Could it be because the social significance of the word carries meaning far beyond its dictionary definition? Could it be the LGBT activists are trying to make an end run around social convention? Obviously, you folks feel the word is controlling, it is important to you, not only because it is in law but for its connotative significance also. How about a one line rider to a completely innocuous and unrelated bill that says something like, Civil unions are equivalent to marriage in the eyes of the law. Poof, problem solved and you don't have to fight the entire religious community over it. If the religious right ever goes on the attack, you guys are boned. So far all they've said is no.
- Wow: 62% of Republicans support sending ground troops into Iraq and Syria Allahpundit 40 mins ago
- Video: AQ’s competition with ISIS means renewed focus on hitting US Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- The GOP comes roaring back in Colorado Noah Rothman 2 hour ago
- WSJ: Obama will require military to get his personal approval for U.S. strikes in Syria Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: Scotland goes to the polls on independence Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Chaffetz to DHS Secretary: Did you hear the one about the four suspected terrorists who tried to walk across the border? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago