Could it be because the social significance of the word carries meaning far beyond its dictionary definition? Could it be the LGBT activists are trying to make an end run around social convention? Obviously, you folks feel the word is controlling, it is important to you, not only because it is in law but for its connotative significance also. How about a one line rider to a completely innocuous and unrelated bill that says something like, Civil unions are equivalent to marriage in the eyes of the law. Poof, problem solved and you don't have to fight the entire religious community over it. If the religious right ever goes on the attack, you guys are boned. So far all they've said is no.
- Chris Christie on punishing drug users: If we’re going to be pro-life, let’s be pro-life all the way Allahpundit 18 minutes ago
- The encore ObamaCare victory lap after the not-a-deadline-extension Erika Johnsen 48 minutes ago
- Eric Cantor: Obama and I totally had an angry conversation about immigration yesterday Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- America’s new labor battle: SEIU versus … Media Matters Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Phelim McAleer, Rep. Marsha Blackburn, Collin Raye Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Video: Obama declines to endorse Biden for 2016 Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago