I never thought of it that way, but it makes a lot of sense! And further, how often do we hear of drunk drivers who test at 2-3 times the legal limit? Clearly, laws don't stop them. Many of these are driving despite license revocations, which proves that particular strategy is ineffective. These are alcoholics who will drink to excess no matter what. Why not revoke their privilege to drink alcohol? Stamp their licenses with a NO ALCOHOL warning, and require everybody regardless of age to show their license at the package store every time they purchase. Not only would this reduce drunk driving, but also the other social costs of alcoholism- violence, loss of employment, etc. Sure, some may get alcohol other ways, but it makes far more sense to restrict access to alcohol than access to driving. Take away someone's right to drive, they lose their job, and hang around with a lot of time... to drink. Take away the privilege to drink, and maybe their life may be improved.
- Rand Paul on abortion: “We’re not changing any of the laws until the country is persuaded otherwise” Allahpundit 30 minutes ago
- Video: Feds bust prep-school drug ring Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Has al-Qaeda taken over a secret US base in Libya? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- NYT poll shows Pryor up 10 in Arkansas Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Lavrov: Russia will respond in Ukraine if interests “attacked” … like we did in 2008 Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- WaPo columnist: Home ownership is a lousy investment Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago