This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
You might want to look that up, Deadnaught011. In 1860 the population of Whites in Virginia was 1,105,453, and there were 490,865 Slaves, but "only" 26% of the households owned Slaves. http://civilwarcauses.org/stat.htm
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- DNC chairwoman: What, politics influencing the president’s Keystone XL delay? Nahhh. Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Oklahoma will charge homeowners who generate their own power Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago
- Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey 20 hours ago