One of the strongest elements of Mitt Romney's spectacular debate performance was his decisive rejoinder to the president's oft-repeated allegation that the Republican plans to raise taxes on middle class families. Obama said Romney has designs on an unpaid-for $5 trillion tax cut that would eventually necessitate higher tax bills for average Americans. Romney flatly rejected the claim by calling it false, then explained what he actually has in mind. But the president returned to the "$5 trillion" well on several subsequent occasions, prompting more rebuttals from his challenger. FactCheck.org and CNN reviewed Obama's accusation, and found it wanting....
In response to:
Romney and Ryan need to put their suits back on, start looking like leaders, and not get bogged down in ANY details. The people on the fence right now want to see broad themes indicating leadership, confidence, and intelligence.
- Video: Small-business employees locked out of Covered California health care Ed Morrissey 31 minutes ago
- Russian FM after meeting with Kerry: Russia has no “common vision” on Crimea with the west Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- The Ed Morrissey Show: Duane “Generalissimo” Patterson Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Soon, you might be able to carry a gun just about anywhere in Georgia Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Kerry retreats on recognition of Israel as a Jewish state Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Brown ramping up Senate run in New Hampshire: AP Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago