I'm in the camp that believes Republicans have no choice but to agree to raise taxes on the top 2 percent of earners. The party has been successfully caricatured as the servant of the rich. This is unjust, yes, but justice is imperfect in this life. It's political suicide for Republicans to stand fast on maintaining current rates for high earners even at the cost of raising taxes for everyone else. Imagine if we went over the fiscal cliff. In January, Obama would call upon Congress to pass a law restoring the tax rates for 98 percent of filers. What could...
The old adage "If you don't stand for something you stand for nothing" or somehting to that effect. The Republicans should just let it go ver the cliff. They'll be blamed, but they're going to be blamed no matter what they do or don't do. Going over the cliff has the added benefit of spending cuts which will never happen any other way.
- Hamas spox: ‘We are leading our people to death’… er, confrontation… yeah, that’s it Noah Rothman 33 minutes ago
- Dems to Obama: Don’t stand so close to me Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Bowe Bergdahl returning to active duty this week Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Democratic Colorado governor exalts Obama’s pool game, is not helping Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Begich: Hey, I’m a thorn in Obama’s … whatever Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Josh Earnest: We’re the most transparent administration ever, no matter what journalists say Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago