I'm in the camp that believes Republicans have no choice but to agree to raise taxes on the top 2 percent of earners. The party has been successfully caricatured as the servant of the rich. This is unjust, yes, but justice is imperfect in this life. It's political suicide for Republicans to stand fast on maintaining current rates for high earners even at the cost of raising taxes for everyone else. Imagine if we went over the fiscal cliff. In January, Obama would call upon Congress to pass a law restoring the tax rates for 98 percent of filers. What could...
The old adage "If you don't stand for something you stand for nothing" or somehting to that effect. The Republicans should just let it go ver the cliff. They'll be blamed, but they're going to be blamed no matter what they do or don't do. Going over the cliff has the added benefit of spending cuts which will never happen any other way.
- Obama: Yeah, a lot of you won’t be able to keep your doctor after all Ed Morrissey 29 minutes ago
- WaPo: Four Pinocchios for Dems’ Koch habit Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Russia: We may move into eastern Ukraine to protect ethnic Russians there too Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Has DoJ blocked a corruption probe into Reid, Lee? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- House Dems whipping against ObamaCare fix Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago