Yes, the dreaded “sequester” cuts begin taking effect today, but syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer is reminding Republicans that -- at least for the moment -- they actually have the upper hand politically. During an appearance on “Special Report” last night, he urged Republicans to do two things to expose the Left’s cynical, doomsday scare tactics and curry favor with the public: 1) emphasize that the GOP has indeed offered Senate Democrats and the president “utter discretion” to pick and choose which government programs to cut in lieu of “sequestration” -- which the former rejected and the latter threatened to...
The economy is fragile enough that GDP barely grew in the 2012 fourth quarter, when inventory purchases and federal spending both slowed more than usual. Last weekend, the Moody’s credit-rating agency stripped the United Kingdom of its AAA credit rating—not because U.K. deficits are too high, but because Britain’s premature austerity policies are leaching away the growth required to make its deficits manageable.
- Obama to faith leaders: I have no plans for an executive amnesty on immigration Allahpundit 39 minutes ago
- Income-inequality warrior to earn $225,000 per year for doing nothing in particular about income inequality Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Is Kickstarter kicking out pro-life projects? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Oh, good: Obama to announce more faux stimulus with $600 million for job training Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- New study shows casual pot use connected to brain abnormalities Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Minnesota to outsource ObamaCare exchange management to private sector Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago