Yes, the dreaded “sequester” cuts begin taking effect today, but syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer is reminding Republicans that -- at least for the moment -- they actually have the upper hand politically. During an appearance on “Special Report” last night, he urged Republicans to do two things to expose the Left’s cynical, doomsday scare tactics and curry favor with the public: 1) emphasize that the GOP has indeed offered Senate Democrats and the president “utter discretion” to pick and choose which government programs to cut in lieu of “sequestration” -- which the former rejected and the latter threatened to...
The economy is fragile enough that GDP barely grew in the 2012 fourth quarter, when inventory purchases and federal spending both slowed more than usual. Last weekend, the Moody’s credit-rating agency stripped the United Kingdom of its AAA credit rating—not because U.K. deficits are too high, but because Britain’s premature austerity policies are leaching away the growth required to make its deficits manageable.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- DeBlasio faces three lawsuits for trying to shut down charter schools Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- European countries to US: Give us your gas Erika Johnsen 11 hours ago
- Venezuelan protesters digging in for the long haul Erika Johnsen 12 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Maybe we should talk about “True Detective” instead Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Finally: Young liberals ready to explain the news to America Allahpundit 13 hours ago