What is it about Abraham Lincoln that has captured the hearts and minds of the American public since his assassination nearly 150 years ago? After all, one could argue -- rather persuasively -- that our 16th president was the least qualified candidate ever elected to high national office; in fact, his public service record included just four terms in the Illinois state legislative, one unremarkable term in the House of Representatives, and two unsuccessful bids for the US Senate. In addition, he had virtually no executive experience and, as his contemporaries invariably pointed out, Lincoln seemed wholly unfit to lead the...
Wow. A Clown Hall History lesson, all in one thread. And to think, all these years I've been resourcing books, letters, biographies, and historians. What a waste of time.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Priorities: Germany bans Uber, ride-sharing services Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Breaking: Obama approves sending 350 more troops back into Baghdad Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- ESPN poll: 71% support team keeping “Redskins” name — including 53% of liberals Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Brutal Ad: Mary Landrieu’s tireless representation of her true home town Guy Benson 7 hours ago
- Chris Christie thinks Putin wouldn’t test him like he does Obama, and that’s driving liberals nuts Noah Rothman 8 hours ago