What is it about Abraham Lincoln that has captured the hearts and minds of the American public since his assassination nearly 150 years ago? After all, one could argue -- rather persuasively -- that our 16th president was the least qualified candidate ever elected to high national office; in fact, his public service record included just four terms in the Illinois state legislative, one unremarkable term in the House of Representatives, and two unsuccessful bids for the US Senate. In addition, he had virtually no executive experience and, as his contemporaries invariably pointed out, Lincoln seemed wholly unfit to lead the...
Wow. A Clown Hall History lesson, all in one thread. And to think, all these years I've been resourcing books, letters, biographies, and historians. What a waste of time.
- Survey USA shows GOP prospects brightening in Georgia Ed Morrissey 49 mins ago
- Mitch McConnell’s empty promise: We’ll force Obama to rein in government or else risk a shutdown Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Addressing James Foley’s murder, Obama speaks loudly and leaves the stick at home Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Washington wonders: Why did Obama bother to come back from vacation? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon: Darren Wilson must be vigorously prosecuted Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Open thread: Semi-retired President to issue daily communique at 12:45 ET (pledged) Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago