In response to:
blacks represented 20% of our entire population and they voted almost exclusively Republican, i.e. newly elected black Representatives, notable figures like Frederick Douglas, et al. What changed? The simple answer is Woodrow Wilson and FDR. Wilson resegregated the military, FDR initiated voting requirements for blacks in order for them to gain jobs during the Depression when blacks were fleeing the rural environments for jobs in the city. "You want a job?" said the FDR administration to the blacks; "Then sign on this dotted line, or make your mark, to register as a Democrat."
- Less than a week before the midterms, Obama backs off deportations of illegal immigrants Noah Rothman 30 mins ago
- Video: Doctor quarantined in California after return from Liberia Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Science: Nobel Prize-winning doctor backs Christie’s quarantine plan Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- The middle class can’t afford to live in liberal cities Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- In two New York districts, two trouncings to warm your heart Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago