In response to:
blacks represented 20% of our entire population and they voted almost exclusively Republican, i.e. newly elected black Representatives, notable figures like Frederick Douglas, et al. What changed? The simple answer is Woodrow Wilson and FDR. Wilson resegregated the military, FDR initiated voting requirements for blacks in order for them to gain jobs during the Depression when blacks were fleeing the rural environments for jobs in the city. "You want a job?" said the FDR administration to the blacks; "Then sign on this dotted line, or make your mark, to register as a Democrat."
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago