Economists may not agree on much, but we all agree that economic output is a function of capital and labor. Ask a Keynesian, a Marxist, an Austrian, a monetarist, or any economist, and they’ll all agree that living standards are determined by the quality and quantity of these two factors of production.
So it should be very worrisome that there has been a big drop in the share of the population that is employed. Here’s a chart produced from Bureau of Labor Statistics data, showing labor force participation during the 21st Century.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- DeBlasio faces three lawsuits for trying to shut down charter schools Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- European countries to US: Give us your gas Erika Johnsen 5 hours ago
- Venezuelan protesters digging in for the long haul Erika Johnsen 6 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Maybe we should talk about “True Detective” instead Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Finally: Young liberals ready to explain the news to America Allahpundit 7 hours ago