Of all the misguided, corrupt and deranged ideas floating around inside the D.C. bubble, perhaps the single worst one is giving illegal aliens amnesty as part of some sort of attempt to capture the Hispanic vote. If the GOP were to pursue a policy that primarily benefits corrupt business owners, the government of Mexico, and Democrats at the expense of our country and our own base, we'd truly deserve the "Stupid Party" moniker that has so often been hung around our neck. This policy wouldn't be a calculated risk or even a longshot; it would be a game of Russian Roulette...
The GOPe (Gingrich, Rove, Jeb, etc) is saying that all they need to do is pass amnesty and Voila!, Republicans will have Hispanics in the bag! Really? If that were true, then they should take a good look at history: In 1980, Carter received 56% of the Hispanic vote while Reagan only got 37% — a difference of 19%. In 1984, Mondale received 66% of the Hispanic vote while Reagan only got 34.82% — a difference of 31.18%. In 1986, President Ronald Reagan signed The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 a/k/a Simpson-Mazzilo into law, which granted amnesty to 3 million illegal immigrants, the vast majority of which were Hispanic. In 1988, Michael Dukakis won 70.15% of the Hispanic vote while the Vice-President of the man who legalised
- Pew poll: Majority of Republicans think GOP isn’t doing a good job on spending, immigration, and gay marriage Allahpundit 13 mins ago
- Ruth Bader Ginsberg to liberals: You really think Obama can replace me? Noah Rothman 53 mins ago
- Building blocks of the GOP Senate majority coming together Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Jim Webb: I’m seriously thinking of running for president as a Democrat Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Climate change so important that cable news ignored Obama’s UN speech Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Bill O’Reilly: Why not raise a 25,000-man global mercenary army to fight ISIS? Allahpundit 3 hours ago