Of all the misguided, corrupt and deranged ideas floating around inside the D.C. bubble, perhaps the single worst one is giving illegal aliens amnesty as part of some sort of attempt to capture the Hispanic vote. If the GOP were to pursue a policy that primarily benefits corrupt business owners, the government of Mexico, and Democrats at the expense of our country and our own base, we'd truly deserve the "Stupid Party" moniker that has so often been hung around our neck. This policy wouldn't be a calculated risk or even a longshot; it would be a game of Russian Roulette...
The GOPe (Gingrich, Rove, Jeb, etc) is saying that all they need to do is pass amnesty and Voila!, Republicans will have Hispanics in the bag! Really? If that were true, then they should take a good look at history: In 1980, Carter received 56% of the Hispanic vote while Reagan only got 37% — a difference of 19%. In 1984, Mondale received 66% of the Hispanic vote while Reagan only got 34.82% — a difference of 31.18%. In 1986, President Ronald Reagan signed The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 a/k/a Simpson-Mazzilo into law, which granted amnesty to 3 million illegal immigrants, the vast majority of which were Hispanic. In 1988, Michael Dukakis won 70.15% of the Hispanic vote while the Vice-President of the man who legalised
- Less than a week before the midterms, Obama backs off deportations of illegal immigrants Noah Rothman 21 mins ago
- Video: Doctor quarantined in California after return from Liberia Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Science: Nobel Prize-winning doctor backs Christie’s quarantine plan Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- The middle class can’t afford to live in liberal cities Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- In two New York districts, two trouncings to warm your heart Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago