First, some points about the limits of polls. Random sample polling is an imprecise instrument. There's an error margin of 3 or 4 percent, and polling theory tells us that one out of 20 polls is wrong, with results outside the margin of error. Sometimes it's easy to spot such an...
The media has done their job---as they see it. In today’s ABC/WaPo poll, Obama leads Romney 49-47%. That’s the good news. The rest is grim if not disgusting. Those polled trust Obama over Romney in handling: Terrorism (53-39%); International Affairs (49-44%); Taxes (49-44%); Social Issues (52-38%); Medicare (47-43%); Healthcare (48-44%); Of course, Obama is friendlier, the preferred dinner partner and supports “middle class” people more. Romney ties Obama is handling the economy (47-47%) and would handle the deficit better (48-45%). The press has done its job---in keeping America invincibly ignorant. We’re screwed.
As a recovering pollster (I worked for Democratic pollster Peter Hart from 1974 to 1981), let me weigh in on the controversy over whether the polls are accurate. Many conservatives are claiming that multiple polls have overly Democratic samples, and some charge that media pollsters are trying to discourage Republican voters.
- Former loathsome nanny-state mayor confuses blogger with second awesome move this summer Mary Katharine Ham 18 minutes ago
- Video: Army Medal of Honor recipient breaks gavel at New York Stock Exchange Mary Katharine Ham 58 minutes ago
- Senate analysis: What does “success” look like for the GOP in 2014? Guy Benson 1 hour ago
- Could a Republican president gut ObamaCare without action from Congress or the Supreme Court? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Rubio: Immigration reform won’t happen for another 10 years unless border security comes first Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Watch the most infuriating interview on the Israel-Gaza conflict yet Noah Rothman 3 hours ago