First, some points about the limits of polls. Random sample polling is an imprecise instrument. There's an error margin of 3 or 4 percent, and polling theory tells us that one out of 20 polls is wrong, with results outside the margin of error. Sometimes it's easy to spot such an...
The media has done their job---as they see it. In today’s ABC/WaPo poll, Obama leads Romney 49-47%. That’s the good news. The rest is grim if not disgusting. Those polled trust Obama over Romney in handling: Terrorism (53-39%); International Affairs (49-44%); Taxes (49-44%); Social Issues (52-38%); Medicare (47-43%); Healthcare (48-44%); Of course, Obama is friendlier, the preferred dinner partner and supports “middle class” people more. Romney ties Obama is handling the economy (47-47%) and would handle the deficit better (48-45%). The press has done its job---in keeping America invincibly ignorant. We’re screwed.
As a recovering pollster (I worked for Democratic pollster Peter Hart from 1974 to 1981), let me weigh in on the controversy over whether the polls are accurate. Many conservatives are claiming that multiple polls have overly Democratic samples, and some charge that media pollsters are trying to discourage Republican voters.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Video: Canada’s Sergeant at Arms gets standing ovation after shooting terrorist while wearing tails Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Poll: Republican gubernatorial candidate up two points in…Illinois? Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Breaking: New Ebola case in NYC Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago
- Obama: Hey Georgia, do me a solid and elect Michelle Nunn Guy Benson 9 hours ago
- FBI warns ISIS trying to kidnap journalists abroad Noah Rothman 10 hours ago