The agendas of liberals, progressives and assorted tyrants desperately depend on the aspects of human nature they often condemn, such as acquisitiveness, profit motive, self-interestedness and greed. This crossed my mind while reading "How Departures From Economic Freedom Can Affect Freedom In General," by Dr. John Taylor, a Hoover Institution scholar. Taylor tells how former Wells Fargo CEO Dick Kovacevich was forced to take Troubled Asset Relief Program funds even though Wells Fargo did not need or want the funds. Kovacevich was threatened that if he did not accept TARP money, regulators would declare his bank capital-deficient even though Wells...
I lived in Chile while Pinochet was running the joint, and he wasn't right wing, except when compared to a hard leftist. He was all for building government housing interfering in everything he could etc. He came up with plan after plan to help the poor, and his style was like socialism's maiden aunt, with some nasty secret police activity on the side. If he's right wing for using several Chicago economists to revamp his economic system, then China is right wing for liberalizing their economy. I'm afraid that the only real difference between 'right wing' and 'left wing' dictators is their allegiances; you can barely tell one from the other, but if they aligned with the Soviets they were left, and with the USA they were right.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Lundergan Grimes: Iron Dome is great for keeping Hamas from tunneling into Israel Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Organizing for Action asks WaPo to recognize its work, with hilarious results Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- S.E. Cupp: It’s a myth that conservatism is hostile to atheism Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Chuck Todd: Democrats and Republicans should be embarrassed by this impeachment nonsense Guy Benson 9 hours ago
- GAO investigation: Why, yes, the Healthcare.gov disaster was the result of terrible government management Allahpundit 10 hours ago