The agendas of liberals, progressives and assorted tyrants desperately depend on the aspects of human nature they often condemn, such as acquisitiveness, profit motive, self-interestedness and greed. This crossed my mind while reading "How Departures From Economic Freedom Can Affect Freedom In General," by Dr. John Taylor, a Hoover Institution scholar. Taylor tells how former Wells Fargo CEO Dick Kovacevich was forced to take Troubled Asset Relief Program funds even though Wells Fargo did not need or want the funds. Kovacevich was threatened that if he did not accept TARP money, regulators would declare his bank capital-deficient even though Wells...
I lived in Chile while Pinochet was running the joint, and he wasn't right wing, except when compared to a hard leftist. He was all for building government housing interfering in everything he could etc. He came up with plan after plan to help the poor, and his style was like socialism's maiden aunt, with some nasty secret police activity on the side. If he's right wing for using several Chicago economists to revamp his economic system, then China is right wing for liberalizing their economy. I'm afraid that the only real difference between 'right wing' and 'left wing' dictators is their allegiances; you can barely tell one from the other, but if they aligned with the Soviets they were left, and with the USA they were right.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Video: Shep vs. Earnest Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 12 hours ago