The agendas of liberals, progressives and assorted tyrants desperately depend on the aspects of human nature they often condemn, such as acquisitiveness, profit motive, self-interestedness and greed. This crossed my mind while reading "How Departures From Economic Freedom Can Affect Freedom In General," by Dr. John Taylor, a Hoover Institution scholar. Taylor tells how former Wells Fargo CEO Dick Kovacevich was forced to take Troubled Asset Relief Program funds even though Wells Fargo did not need or want the funds. Kovacevich was threatened that if he did not accept TARP money, regulators would declare his bank capital-deficient even though Wells...
Originally 'right wing' meant monarchist, which while not a dictatorship per se, usually is in effect. Any king needs a bunch of ministers and officers too; the difference between the Tsar and his secret police and Stalin and his NKVD is barely perceptible to the naked eye, but there's your right wing and left wing dictatorships. It's the problem with using so many stupid labels for a continuum that doesn't fit on a straight line anyway.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 13 hours ago