The agendas of liberals, progressives and assorted tyrants desperately depend on the aspects of human nature they often condemn, such as acquisitiveness, profit motive, self-interestedness and greed. This crossed my mind while reading "How Departures From Economic Freedom Can Affect Freedom In General," by Dr. John Taylor, a Hoover Institution scholar. Taylor tells how former Wells Fargo CEO Dick Kovacevich was forced to take Troubled Asset Relief Program funds even though Wells Fargo did not need or want the funds. Kovacevich was threatened that if he did not accept TARP money, regulators would declare his bank capital-deficient even though Wells...
Originally 'right wing' meant monarchist, which while not a dictatorship per se, usually is in effect. Any king needs a bunch of ministers and officers too; the difference between the Tsar and his secret police and Stalin and his NKVD is barely perceptible to the naked eye, but there's your right wing and left wing dictatorships. It's the problem with using so many stupid labels for a continuum that doesn't fit on a straight line anyway.
- Coercive fines, national security, and the Death Star Ed Morrissey 41 mins ago
- McCain to Rand Paul: Have you ever been to Syria and met with ISIS like I have? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Sure sounds like Mike Huckabee is thinking of running for president Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Tuesday TEMS: Andrew Malcolm, Ron Fournier, Aaron Klein, Fr. Bill Miscamble Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Great news: On taxes, the US beats France, Portugal, and … that’s about it Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago