The agendas of liberals, progressives and assorted tyrants desperately depend on the aspects of human nature they often condemn, such as acquisitiveness, profit motive, self-interestedness and greed. This crossed my mind while reading "How Departures From Economic Freedom Can Affect Freedom In General," by Dr. John Taylor, a Hoover Institution scholar. Taylor tells how former Wells Fargo CEO Dick Kovacevich was forced to take Troubled Asset Relief Program funds even though Wells Fargo did not need or want the funds. Kovacevich was threatened that if he did not accept TARP money, regulators would declare his bank capital-deficient even though Wells...
Originally 'right wing' meant monarchist, which while not a dictatorship per se, usually is in effect. Any king needs a bunch of ministers and officers too; the difference between the Tsar and his secret police and Stalin and his NKVD is barely perceptible to the naked eye, but there's your right wing and left wing dictatorships. It's the problem with using so many stupid labels for a continuum that doesn't fit on a straight line anyway.
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 29 minutes ago
- Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- Advice to campaigning Democrats: Maybe avoid mentioning the term economic “recovery” Erika Johnsen 17 hours ago