What President Obama has been pushing for, and moving toward, is more insidious: government control of the economy, while leaving ownership in private hands. That way, politicians get to call the shots but, when their bright ideas lead to disaster, they...
The 'socialist' label bugs me too, mainly because it's too broad. It's like saying 'Christians.' Many factions within. I think Dr. Sowell is quite correct that the closest approximation of the current Democratic Party is fascism--they agree with the fascists on just about everything. That is not to say Nazis, who had that weird theosophist racist theory saddled on top of fascism. There are plenty of theosophist Liberals, but they generally don't buy the Atlantean theory of race that was so important to Nazism. Fascists in both Italy and Spain were not nice people, but they're skim milk socialists, with relatively minor body counts. Fascists are the right of the left, but still well left of republicans/Republicans in general.
It bothers me a little when conservatives call Barack Obama a "socialist." He certainly is an enemy of the free market, and wants politicians and bureaucrats to make the fundamental decisions about the economy. But that does not mean that he wants government ownership of the means of production, which has long been a standard definition of socialism.
- David Cameron to Scotland: Baby, don’t go. Mary Katharine Ham 30 mins ago
- Confirmed: You can tell someone’s politics by their body odor Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Oh my: I think Romney’s going to run, says top Wall Street backer Allahpundit 2 hour ago
- Election forecasters bearish on GOP? Senate models looking more Democratic by the day Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Dempsey continues to frustrate Obama with admission some Arab allies fund ISIS Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Coercive fines, national security, and the Death Star Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago