What President Obama has been pushing for, and moving toward, is more insidious: government control of the economy, while leaving ownership in private hands. That way, politicians get to call the shots but, when their bright ideas lead to disaster, they...
The 'socialist' label bugs me too, mainly because it's too broad. It's like saying 'Christians.' Many factions within. I think Dr. Sowell is quite correct that the closest approximation of the current Democratic Party is fascism--they agree with the fascists on just about everything. That is not to say Nazis, who had that weird theosophist racist theory saddled on top of fascism. There are plenty of theosophist Liberals, but they generally don't buy the Atlantean theory of race that was so important to Nazism. Fascists in both Italy and Spain were not nice people, but they're skim milk socialists, with relatively minor body counts. Fascists are the right of the left, but still well left of republicans/Republicans in general.
It bothers me a little when conservatives call Barack Obama a "socialist." He certainly is an enemy of the free market, and wants politicians and bureaucrats to make the fundamental decisions about the economy. But that does not mean that he wants government ownership of the means of production, which has long been a standard definition of socialism.
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 4 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Afghan interpreters who aided US in danger of being left behind Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago